Monday, May 6, 2019

Just Another Studio Ghibli Post

If you have been following me on SNS, you probably have an idea on how soft I am for Studio Ghibli films and anything related to it. But hey, who isn't?

Of course being the (slightly crazy) fanatic that I am, I readily got tickets when I knew there's gonna be a pop-up exhibition honoring the late Toshio Suzuki (one of SG's co-founders and producers). Fittingly, it's called Toshio Suzuki and Studio Ghibli.

 I went two days ago and even though the venue was small and there were lots of people who came, somehow, nostalgia seeped its way through the crowd to me. I never thought I'd feel a pull on my heartstrings just by looking at the film posters and Toshio Suzuki's calligraphy... but boy, oh, boy, that was one big pull.

So yeah, enough with the drama lol. Here are some photos I took of the exhibition. There were places where photography was allowed and then there were those where it was prohibited. When you go, just make sure that you read the guides posted throughout the exhibition venue. Oh, it runs until the 12th this May so you might wanna go before then~ *wink*


We were greeted by these movie posters with calligraphy on it. Apparently, Toshio Suzuki was into calligraphy. Throughout the exhibit, his calligraphy works can be seen.




There were also areas where his books, manga, and vintage stuff were displayed. Unfortunately, photography was not allowed. 



There was a big room where you can see a giant Yubaba and a giant Zeniba (from Spirited Away). 

From the mouths of each, one may pull out a numbered tag, go to the omikuji box nearby, open one of the numbered boxes (should be the same number as the numbered string one got), and get a strip of paper containing one's fortune. The exhibition-goers can only choose one, either you get a love omikuji or a  fortune omikuji.  Kenji and I chose the latter~

I got 八 or 8.

Kenji got 五 or 5.



Here's how the omikuji box looks like~

I got "forthcoming luck" and Kenji got "great misfortune" oh noooooo
(you can bring the omikuji/fortune strips home as a souvenir)




Also spotted is a calligraphy of Reiwa, Japan's new era name.


From researching aka Google lol, Reiwa is handwritten as the one above. If printed, it's 令和.


 Spotted this random corner too, I think it's cute heh~


Ahhhh, the bath house from Spirited Away~~~







Look at these delicate deets~



The end~
It was a small exhibition for the price but hey, it's not every day that they hold one so yeah, that's enough. 

Right after this room is the exhibit shop where you can buy goods and whatnot related to Studio Ghibli.









Also, don't forget to take a photo with our giant furry friend outside the exhibition hall!



And if you still have spare time, go around the nearby (really just right next to this furry friend) Kanda Myojin Shrine. It's so beautiful at night!




So yup, that's one short but sweet Studio Ghibli day. I hope there will be more to come, and if there is one again, for sure, you'll find me there~ ♡

Exhibition Details:
Toshio Suzuki and Studio Ghibli Exhibition 

Kanda Myojin Cultural Exchange Center “EDOCCO” at Kanda Myojin Shrine Hall (神田明神 文化交流館「EDOCCO」内 神田明神ホール)
Address: Tokyo-to, Chiyoda-ku, Sotokanda 2-16-2
(東京都千代田区外神田2-16-2)
Dates: April 20th to - May 12th, 10:00AM- 6:00PM
Fee: ¥1,300

xx,
Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment